Level 3 NVQ Certificate in Health and Safety
Why do a Health & Safety NVQ?
Many people wonder how they actually progress their career in health and safety. Becoming a Chartered Member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (CMIOSH) is the most popular way of demonstrating that you are capable and, above all, knowledgeable. CMIOSH status gives access to the widest range of work and the most rewarding jobs.
The entry starting level membership is Associate leading to Technical Membership.
Achieving the Level 3 Certificate in Health & safety is the equivalent of the NEBOSH Certificate; the academic route. This will allow entry as a Technical Member of IOSH (TechIOSH).
What if I’m new to IOSH?
To be recommended for Technical Member status, you should hold an accredited level 3 qualification and have a suitable amount of experience in health and safety, which is easily demonstrable with an NVQ portfolio. This will put you on your way to Graduate then Chartered status.
So what is this NVQ?
An NVQ Level 3 Certificate or Diploma is a work-based qualification suitable for those in a health and safety management role, which recognises a person’s competence using on the job performance for assessment, rather than relying on examinations. You will use an online system to help you with the process of putting together your portfolio and will be assisted online by a CMIOSH assessor throughout. This online system means you can enrol and undertake the qualification from anywhere in the world.
The main plus points are:
- No formal examination
- Flexible workplace study – earn while you learn
- Continuous enrolment, start any time
- Equivalent to an academic qualification
NVQs are designed to be taken at a pace that suits your needs, so many learners take about six months to a year to complete. They are outcome-based with no fixed learning programme, allowing flexibility of delivery to meet your individual needs. To earn a qualification, you must complete five mandatory units as well as two optional units.
The MANDATORY units are:
- Ensure responsibility for actions to reduce risks to health and safety:
- Develop procedures to safely control work operations:
- Monitor procedures to safely control work operations
- Promote a culture of health and safety in the workplace
- Conduct a health and safety risk assessment of the workplace.
Then select two of the four optional units:
- Investigate and evaluate health and safety incidents and complaints in the workplace:
- Make sure actions in the workplace aim to protect the environment
- Review health and safety procedures in the workplace:
- Supervise the health, safety and welfare of a learner in the workplace.
NVQs are based on national standards for various occupations and these standards say what a competent person in a job could be expected to do. As you progress through the qualification, you compare your skills and knowledge with these standards as you learn, so you can see what you need to do to meet them.
How much does it cost?
The cost of the qualification is £1000 plus VAT (£1200 including VAT).
Spread the cost of these NVQ’s with our INTEREST FREE finance (subject to status), these are the payment options:
Deposit: £240, then one of the following monthly payment options:
3 months – £320 a month
6 months – £160 a month
9 months – £106.67 a month
10 months – £96 a month
12 months – £80 a month
Why should I choose Cognitia as my training provider?
- Weekly webinars providing support for questions you may have.
- Easy to use E-portfolio system from Quals Direct. Click HERE to watch our YouTube Video.
- One to one video support calls / telephone calls.
- Clear and concise assessment plans, showing you EXACTLY what you need to do to achieve your NVQ.
- Experienced team of assessors and quality assurers – some of whom work as External Verifiers for Awarding Bodies.
What do I do next?
Sign up online – due to the very nature of an NVQ being a work-based assessment, you just need to ensure that you are in a position in your current role to be able to collect the evidence required for your portfolio.