Who Is The Course For:
This Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) course is designed for site managers, agents and persons who are, or are about to be, responsible for planning, organising, monitoring, controlling and administering groups of staff within a construction environment.
About the course:
The course covers all relevant legislation and other aspects which affect safe working in the building, construction and civil engineering industries. It highlights the need for risk assessment in the workplace, the implementation of the necessary control measures, and adequate communication to sustain a health and safety culture among the workforce.
The SMSTS course is endorsed by Build UK as the standard training for all construction managers.
The aim of the course is to help site managers to:
- manage health and safety on site in accordance with current legal provisions and within the context of their management role
- develop an understanding of responsibility and accountability for site health, safety and welfare
- recognise that a safe site is efficient, economical, productive and environmentally friendly.
This is an interactive course covering these topic areas. Delegates will be involved in GROUP project work.
The four core exercises are completed in order to assess the performance and interaction of each participant within the group. The construction site drawings, tasks and projects are designed to be used as reference material for the core exercises
The four core exercises comprise of the following.
- Exercise 1: Implementing health and safety legislation.
- Exercise 2: Manager and supervisor responsibilities.
- Exercise 3: Site briefing.
- Exercise 4: Site layout.
The four core exercises must be completed. However, other exercises and tests may also be used to supplement the course, at the discretion of the training provider.
The exam paper is compulsory and consists of 25 questions, selected by CITB, covering all aspects of the course.
The exam pass mark is 80% (28 out of 35).
The paper consists of 20 multiple choice questions and five short written questions. There are five safety critical questions in each exam paper. The delegate must get all five of these questions correct in order to pass the exam. The multiple choice questions are worth one point each, whilst written questions can score between 1-3 marks.
The exam paper forms part of the overall assessment as to whether or not the delegate has successfully achieved the Construction Site Manager’s Safety Certificate, and demonstrated both knowledge of the relevant statutory provisions and the application of management, in respect of health and safety issues.
The exam lasts for 30 minutes and must be completed within this time.
Delegates are permitted to use the Construction site safety – The comprehensive guide (GE700) publication and the Construction site management delegate workbook (XA6) for the last ten minutes of the exam.
Am I suitable for this course?
- Delegates should hold, or be about to hold, the role of a manager.
- Delegates must be competent in English at site management level. Good understanding of spoken and written English.
- Photo ID will be required to attend the course, such as a copy of your passport or driving licence.
What will I get when I complete it?
- CITB SMSTS Course Certificate that lasts 5 years
- Nationally recognised Health & Safety Qualification for construction managers
- Increased Job Opportunities for employment in a management role.
Grants and funding:
Grants are available for eligible employers. For further information please visit the CITB grant page.
£550 +VAT (£660).
This cost includes publications, registration, certification, and refreshments.
Any Discount won’t be applied if finance is taken out.
Next available dates:
We can also run this course “in house”; contact us for more information on how to book.
Cognitia are accredited to deliver this course by: